Vital Records and Genealogy



The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for the permanent storage of all vital records (i.e. birth, marriage and death records).  Individuals may request certified copies of a vital record from the Clerk’s Office for a fee of:


  • $15.00 for the first copy; and
  • $6.00 for each additional copy of the same record 



On July 12, 2010, a new law preventing fraudulent use of vital records went into effect.  Vital records include birth certificates, fetal death and death certificates, marriage certificates, and domestic partner registrations.  Maine’s new law will require a person requesting a copy of records less than 100 years old to provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records. 


Until now, Maine has been one of just a handful of states that have allowed anyone, including individuals with bad intentions and for profit entities, access to these records.  Information from vital records will become completely open to the public 100 years from the date of the event.


Individuals who may access vital records less than 100 years old include:

  • The person named on the record;
  • The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner;
  • The parent(s) named on the record;
  • Descendants of the person named on the record;
  • Registrant’s legal custodian, guardian, or conservator or respective authorized representative (includes attorney, physician, or funeral director); and
  • Genealogists who have a Maine CDC issued researcher identification card. 

Proof of identity must also be presented to the municipal and city clerks or state Vital Records Office staff.  A brief application for securing a copy of the vital record must be filled out and presented, along with positive identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or other government issued picture identification that clearly shows that the person requesting the record is who they say they are.  Proof of direct lineage is also required when requesting records of a parent or grandparent.  Identification and lineage requirements apply whether the records are requested in person or by mail.


More information on this issue may be found at


Birth Certificates are filed with:


  • The City or Town in which the child was born;
  • The City or Town in which the mother was living at the time of the birth; and
  • The State Office of Health Data and Program Management (formerly known as the Office of Vital Records) 

Marriage Certificates are filed with:


  • The City or Town in which intentions were filed and the license was issued; and
  • The State Office of Health Data and Program Management (formerly known as the Office of Vital Records) 

Death Certificates are filed with:


  • The City or Town of residence at the time of death;
  • The City or Town where the death occurred; and
  • The State Office of Health Data and Program Management (formerly known as the Office of Vital Records) 



Genealogy is the number one hobby in America today.  As a result, municipal clerks offices receive numerous requests for information.  Birth, marriage and death records for Hampden residents date back to 1794.  However, records before 1892 are not a complete listing.  The current fee for genealogy research for records over 100 years old is $5.00 per hour and requests are accepted either by mail or email.  We are sorry, but phone requests can not be honored.


Please direct mail requests to:                     

            Town Clerk’s Office                        

            Town of Hampden

            106 Western Avenue

            Hampden, Maine  04444


Direct email requests to:


When requesting genealogy information, please include all known information – names, dates, and location.  If a record is found, there is a fee of $15.00 for a certified copy.  Fees must be paid in advance.


Specific questions regarding office policy for genealogy research in Hampden should be directed to the Town Clerk’s Office at 207-862-3034.


Helpful Hints:


1)  Prior to 1892, towns were not required to file records of birth, marriage and death.  Some towns have records before 1892, but these may not be a complete recording of events.


2)  Unsure where the event took place?  Begin by contacting the State.  They maintain copies of records from every town in Maine.


3)  Be sure to check family bibles, city directories, obituaries, old maps, old photographs, town history books and old newspapers for information.


4)  State Archives keeps a list of professional genealogists who provide research for a fee.